Some of my favourite things:
Jen Yockney is one of the most prominent bisexual community activists in the UK, having worked on giving bisexual communities support and voice for the past twenty-plus years.
She is active in many levels of community work: frontline support at the UK's oldest bisexual support group; publications and policy-making such as initiating meetings between the bi volunteer / activist community and GEO; and as a mentor actively reaching out to new volunteers to help bi groups and projects around the country blossom.
She tries not to work with organisations that uphold or promote prejudice, such as LG(BT) projects that are consciously or institutionally biphobic or transphobic. But life is full of messy compromises.
Awards & Near Misses
As lead organiser: ran the 2000 International Conference on Bisexuality, on a small team of three people hosting a 5 day conference with 265 attendees from 20 countries.
Four years later ran the 2004 UK BiCon, a similar scale of event.
Organiser or co-organiser of many one-day bi community events since 2001.
Speaking Engagements etc
Numerous individual or panel including for Stonewall, LGF/LGBT Foundation, LGBT Health Summit, NUS, GALIPS, LAGIP, the Co-Operative, IDAHO(BIT). Many radio spots.
- 17th May. Greater Manchester Fire Service. Presentation for IDAHOBIT.
- April 20th: Guest on The Gay Agenda radioshow/podcast
- April 13th: Guest on The Gay Agenda radioshow/podcast
- March 6th: Speaker at University of Chester.
- February 10th: Speaker at Student Pride, London.
- 26th May. Manchester Metropolitan University: Bi/Pan/Omni Theory Day.
- 14th November. Manchester Metropolitan University.
- October 13th: Speaker at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for Bi Visibility Day.
- September 24th: Gaydio interview about bisexual visibility.
- September 21st: Speaker at Lloyds Bank HQ for Bi Visibility Day.
- June 28th: Speaker at Houseproud LGBT Housing Conference.
- June 13th: Speaker at Riverside Housing Association's LGBT tenants conference.
- May 31st. Gaydio election coverage panellist.
- May 4th: Speaker at Rainbow LGBT Professional Network banking conference.
- March 9th: Speaker at Stonewall NW Awards.
- Feb 25th: Speaker at Bi History event organised jointly by BiPhoria and LGBT Foundation at People's History Museum, Manchester. Sold-out, 85 tickets and standing room only at the talk.
- Jan 29th: Guest, That's Pride TV show, That's Manchester TV.
- Jan 20th: Guest, Gay Agenda radio show
- Nov 19th: ALL FM - hour long interview around the MBE for Services to the Bisexual Community
- Oct 9th: Gaydio interview about new ONS bi statistics and receiving the MBE
- Sep 24th: Closing vigil speaker at Bolton Pride
- Sep 22nd: PWC GLEE Network speaker for Bi Visibility Day
- Sep 22nd: Co-Op national HQ speaker for Bi Visibility Day
- Aug 8th: Bisexual History speaker at Leeds Pride "Bi Brunch" event
- Feb 21st: Bisexual intersections speaker at "Polyamory, Consensual Non-Monogamy and Relationship Anarchy" Conference, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Feb 13th: ALL FM radio - hour long interview around bi volunteering and challenges facing bi people
- Feb 12th: Keynote speaker at Greater Manchester Police hate crime event around biphobia and reporting hate incidents & hate crime
- Aug 2nd, Leeds Pride main stage - bisexual speaker / LGBT community voice
- May 28th, Launch of "Complicated?" report on biphobia, Edinburgh
- Apr 20th, BBC Radio 4 / World Service, on the LGB&T vote
- Mar 11th, University of Chester Diversity Week
- Feb 18th, University of Manchester. Guest lecture: "Gay Pride, Bisexual Euphoria?"
- Feb 15th, Festival of LGBT History, People's History Museum. "21 years and more: BiPhoria and Bisexuality in Manchester"
- Jan 17th, ALL FM radio - hour long interview covering many bi issues