Jen Yockney MBE
twitter | instagram | blog
Jen Yockney is one of the most prominent bisexual community activists in the UK, having worked on giving bisexual communities support and voice for the past twenty-plus years.
She is active in many levels of community work: frontline support at the UK's oldest bisexual support group; publications and policy-making such as initiating meetings between the bi volunteer / activist community and GEO; and as a mentor actively reaching out to new volunteers to help bi groups and projects around the country blossom.
She tries not to work with organisations that uphold or promote prejudice, such as LG(BT) projects that are consciously or institutionally biphobic or transphobic. But life is full of messy compromises.
- Awarded the MBE for Services to the Bisexual Community in the 2016 Queen's Birthday Honours List. Reported here.
- Honorary Vice President of LGBT+ Liberal Democrats since December 2020.
- Appointed to the 2019/2020 LGBT+ Grants Programme committee by LGBT Consortium. More here.
- Shortlisted for Outstanding Contribution to LGBT+ Life Award in the British LGBT Awards 2017.
- Interviewed alongside other NW bi activists in the Big Issue North, here.
- Interviewed in Co-Op Respect magazine, May 2016, here.
- Winner, LGBT Heroes "Volunteer of the Year" award, presented by LGBT Foundation based on over 11,000 public votes, 28th January 2016.
Fresh off the Presses
- BCN issue 169 - December 2021 (now quarterly)
- BCN issue 168 - August 2021
- BCN issue 167 - June 2021
- BCN issue 166 - April 2021
- Bi History Poster - order copies here - January 2021
- Getting Bi In A Gay/Straight World - Kindle edition - September 2020
- Awarded the MBE for Services to the Bisexual Community, Queen's 90th Birthday Honours List, June 2016. First honour for services to the bi community and first time the title Mx has appeared in the Honours List.
- Shortlisted for Outstanding Contribution to LGBT+ Life Award in the British LGBT Awards 2017
- Winner 2015 LGBT Heroes "Volunteer of the Year" award, presented by LGBT Foundation based on over 11,000 public votes.
- Winner 2005 Home Office "Year of the Volunteer" award for Community Impact, for work supporting bi people and in particular bisexual community building.
- Winner 2002 Cake Award from the national UK bisexual convention BiCon for contribution to the bisexual community
- (Project rather than individual): BiPhoria shortlisted for 2015 Inclusive Networks Award
- (Project rather than individual): BiPhoria shortlisted for 2015 European Diversity Award
- Shortlisted: 2013 LGF Homo Hero award for Role Model
- Shortlisted: 2011 LGF Homo Hero award for Community Champion
- (Project rather than individual): Bi Community News shortlisted: 2011 LGF Homo Hero award for Community Organisation
As lead organiser: ran the 2000 International Conference on Bisexuality, on a small team of three people hosting a 5 day conference with 265 attendees from 20 countries. Four years later ran the 2004 UK BiCon, a similar scale of event though with a UK focus.
Organiser or co-organiser of many one-day bi community events and conferences since 2001.
Bi Community News | BiPhoria | Bisexual History Project